10DLC (10-Digit Long Code) FAQs
What is 10DLC?
10DLC stands for 10-digit long code and is the industry preferred local long-code numbers approved by mobile network operators. As part of the phone industry’s efforts to prevent spam and improve delivery of legitimate text messages, businesses that send text messages using their business phone number will be required to register their phone numbers. By registering your phone number, this helps prevent your caller ID from showing as spam.
Who is required to register?
Axion is registered as a campaign service provider(CSP) with The Campaign Registry (TCR). TCR is the central hub for registering application-to-person (A2P) text messaging campaigns. TCR works with North American mobile operators and companies that are in the messaging business to register A2P text messaging Campaigns. The registry supports a sanctioned A2P 10DLC text messaging campaign ecosystem and provides visibility into the messaging source and content, allowing mobile carriers to provide a more reliable and simple messaging service for CSPs and Brands.
What is the campaign registry?
All numbers will be registered with The Campaign Registry (https://www.campaignregistry.com/) (TCR). TCR is a reputation authority for business messaging that uses standard ten-digit phone numbers (also known as 10DLC). It was created as part of an industry-wide effort to reduce unwanted text messages. All major communications service providers are members of TCR, including Axion.
What is required to register?
All Axion customers are required to register all Axion business phone numbers used to send text messages.
What if I don’t register my numbers?
Any text messages sent from Axion without proper registration may lead to the number being blocked or traffic from the number being throttled by the carrier, or the carrier applying additional surcharges to messages from such unregistered numbers.
Benefits of registering
Registering your campaign and staying compliant with the latest industry regulations helps insure deliverability of your SMS messages. In addition, registered 10DLC campaigns help prevent your caller ID from showing up as spam. Registered campaigns can also lead to increased throughput for sending SMS messages.
What is required to register?
- A valid EIN/tax ID is required to register your numbers for text messaging.
- Online presence, such as your company’s URL or social media page.
- Company type.
- Details how your company uses or plans to use text messaging.
- Details how your company obtains the phone numbers you plan to text.
- Outline how your company obtains consent to text message the phone numbers.
How do I register?
You can register your numbers directly from your Axion account in minutes. From the AxionOS home page, select Administration from the menu at the top under your avatar.
Under Communication, click Messaging > Registry now
Our messaging guidelines are built from the CTIA Messaging Principles and Best Practices. Please refer to the CTIA guidelines for more details. Axion customers should take proactive steps to monitor and prevent unwanted message content, including but not limited to content that:
- Is unlawful, harmful, abusive, malicious, misleading, harassing, violent, obscene/illicit, or defamatory
- Is deceptive (e.g., phishing messages intended to access private or confidential information), including deceptive links
- Invades privacy
- Promotes illegal activity
- Causes safety concerns
- Incites harm, discrimination, hate or violence
- Includes malware
- Threatens recipients or intended to intimidate
What types of use cases are not allowed?
High-risk financial services
- Payday loans
- Short term – high Interest loans
- Auto/mortgage/student loans
- Debt collection
- Stock alerts
Get rich quick schemes
- Deceptive work from home programs
- Risk investment opportunities
- Multi-level marketing
- Debt consolidation
- Debt reduction
- Credit repair programs
- Exceptions permitted if the message sender is the one doing the hiring
- Cannabis, CBD & hemp products
- All schedule 1 & 2 drugs
- Tobacco and vape
Other disallowed use cases
- Profanity or hate speech
- Fraud or scam
- Deceptive marketing
- Lead generation (All affiliate marketing must be carrier approved)
- Referral or reseller campaign